Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Month of Thanks

It started today on facebook, just like it did last November 1. People are counting down to Thanksgiving by posting something each day for which they are thankful. I don't want to do it on facebook, but I'll try to do it here. Last year I wrote about the 12 days of Christmas. This year I'll do a Thanksgiving blogfest. Read along if you want.

I'll start off by saying I'm thankful for my kids, my house, my employment, my health. That's a given.

So, today, I am thankful for gravy. Yummy gravy like my mom taught me to make. I cooked a chuck roast yesterday during trick or treat. I cooked it on low heat for a long time, until the meat fell apart at the touch of a fork. It was too late to eat it for yesterday's dinner. Tonight, I heated it back up, took out the meat, added some Wondra flour, water and seasoning to the broth and made graaaaaaavy.

Dang it was good. It makes me think of Fannie Flagg. I read somewhere that she said low-calorie cooking was not a tradition in her family; in fact they considered gravy a beverage.

A former neighbor of mine said she saw Fannie Flagg on a talk show and I was just like her. Not so much in appearance, but more in mannerisms and speech.

I wish I was like Fannie Flagg in that she's published quite a few books. I loved Fried Green Tomatoes. Her subsequent books were entertaining, but inconsequential. I do like her, though, so I'll add her to the list of things I'm thankful for today:

1. Gravy
2. Fannie Flagg

No comments:

Post a Comment