Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Twelve Days of Christmas - Day 2

On the second day of Christmas, I FINALLY did a little decorating and trimmed my tree. I'm never one to decorate right after Thanksgiving, but this is a little late, even for me.

There are two things I have from my childhood that make me all warm and fuzzy each year I unearth them from the rest of the Christmas stuff.

One is my stocking. I'm not sure how long I've had it, but I believe forever is pretty close. It's red felt, whip-stitched around the edges in white, with a green felt Christmas tree on the front and my name embroidered on the top. It's sadly beautiful, and apparently lucky. Thanks to thoughtful parents and children, I think Santa has managed to fill my stocking most every year.



The other item is known in my family as the green bulb. It's a tree ornament that originally belonged to my mom's mom and it has to be close to a hundred years old. It's not especially pretty anymore; it's heavy green glass that has clouded over the years. But my mom loved it and began a tradition years ago of bestowing on some lucky friend or family member the honor of hanging the green bulb on our tree. I remember loving the anticipation of wondering who Mom would pick, and I believe it was totally arbitrary on her part.

Now that I have the green bulb, I have the power to choose who gets to hang it on my tree. I'm afraid the honor has lost some of it's luster now that Mom's gone, but I still love the bulb and the tradition. This year, I decided the honoree should be...me.

What can I say? Power corrupts.


No comments:

Post a Comment