Friday, December 10, 2010

Attitude Adjustment

I've had a little trouble getting into the holiday spirit this year, but it's better now. Here's why:

I went to a great party last night. The hostess, T, has thrown this party every year for 20 years now, inviting a dozen or so smart, funny women. T was diagnosed last January with ovarian cancer. She had surgery and months of chemo, but she's finally starting to feel better and the prognosis is good. Last night, to avoid getting sick from drinking too much, she chased her alcohol - a lot of alcohol - with anti-nausea chemo pills. Brilliant! Way to take those lemons and make lemonade. T is an inspiration.

Because of last night's festivities, I was dragging when I got to the office this morning. I stopped at our cafe for coffee. I whined a little to a wonderful woman, K, who works in the cafe. K gave me a FREE fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookie to have with my coffee. A small act of kindness that made my day, combined with the healing power of chocolate chips.

I drank the coffee, I ate the cookie, and I started to feel human. Then I noticed on my calendar that I was scheduled for a massage at 10. Every month my company brings in a masseuse who does upper body massage for a modest fee. My boss had scheduled one for me - and paid for it - as a holiday treat.

Wow. Lots of good things happening in a short period of time. Maybe I should get over myself.

So here's to healthy, caring friends; thoughtful co-workers; and attitude adjustments.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this post, Jeano. Not only did I enjoy it-- I feel inspired!

    ReplyDelete