Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve Advice

I saw a COTA bus on the way to work today. The front of the bus had an electronic sign that switched from its route name – “Hamilton Road” – to “Happy Holidays.” It made me wonder in passing if “Happy Holidays” would offend anyone.

I’ve been thinking about that as I put in my half day at the office, waiting to celebrate Christmas Eve with my family. It seems to me that the vast majority of us are simply well-intentioned, everyday people who want the best for all of us. We’re not extreme supporters of the NRA or the ACLU. We see the good and bad in these organizations and, for that matter, in almost every group or person or belief.

So, it is my hope that we will all assume good intentions. I read that piece of advice on the blog of a successful businessman: Assume good intentions. He was talking about office situations, but it’s applicable to all of us, every day.

If someone wishes you “happy holidays,” assume it’s offered as a friendly greeting, not as intentionally disparaging to your religion.

If someone wishes you “merry Christmas” and you don’t celebrate Christmas, assume the same.

From the unthoughtful gift you receive to the unappreciated gift you give, don’t look for trouble. Assume good intentions.

Merry Christmas to all of you, my friends. I hope to see you soon.

1 comment: