Sunday, September 11, 2011

Thoughts and Memories: A Very Narrow View of 9/11

Mention 9/11 to me and I think of my former coworker, Bob.  He's the guy who's always in my answer to the question "Where were you when it happened?" We were working at Schottenstein’s, I walked past Bob's desk and he said “Brad (his partner) just called. A plane hit the World Trade Center.”

I no longer take peace for granted. I called my mom that day and told her to turn on her TV because “we’re being attacked.” I’d never had to say anything like that before in my life. It had never even occurred to me that I might.

I worry that I’ll have to say it again. Before 9/11, I lived in a world that felt mostly safe. I may have worried a bit about crime, but never about a war being fought on my turf, or about mass destruction and chaos. Another attack seems almost inevitable to me now.

Every morning before I go to work, I turn on the news as I’m getting ready. This started the day after 9/11, and I don’t think I’ve missed a day since. When the inevitable happens, I want to know it.

I still have bottled water and two boxes of emergency supplies in the basement: Duct tape. Batteries. First aid kit. Some – by now – very old peanut butter and canned goods. In my mind I know it’s basically worthless, but I feel better knowing it’s there.

I now have a deep-rooted respect for firefighters, police officers and those who serve in the military. I don’t always agree with the politics of these institutions, but the men and women who rush in where angels fear to tread are aces in my book and I'm grateful to them.

I love Rudy Guiliani and Tony Blair. Rudy held it together for us day after day. My daughter and I were watching TV together when Prime Minister Blair pledged Britain's support to the US and we openly declared our love for him right then. It felt good to have friends.

Overt displays of patriotism bring a tear to my eye. Before 9/11, hearing the National Anthem or seeing a color guard didn’t phase me a bit and now they do. I’m misty-eyed right now, just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment