Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Notes from the Road, #1

My friend Pat, her dog Sadie and I recently drove from Columbus to Garden Valley, Idaho.

Pat did almost all the driving, which gave me a lot of time to look at the scenery.

As we were zipping along Route 80 in Nebraska, that scenery was mostly farms and farmland. Until we were almost to North Platte. Then it was:

cows cows cows cows CAMEL cows cows cows cows

Yes, I saw a camel inside a fence on a farm in Nebraska. Pat did not see it. If Sadie saw it, she's not corroborating my story. But trust me, I know a camel when I see one.

Out of curiosity, I googled "camel in Nebraska." You never know what you'll find. What I found is a tourist attraction in Cairo, Nebraska called the Welcome Camel. Cairo - pronounced Kare-O, not Ky-ro - is about 150 miles from North Platte so, obviously, what I saw was not the Welcome Camel.

But it was a camel.

Coincidence? You decide. But I believe there is suspicious camel activity right here in America's heartland.

No comments:

Post a Comment