Saturday, August 8, 2009

ODE TO THE FAIR

I grew up going to the Ohio State Fair, most often with
my buddy Kathy. I have warm, schmaltzy feelings about it,
so what better way to pay homage than to rip off a song
from The Sound of Music?

(to the tune of My Favorite Things)

Lemonade shake ups
and the Osmond Brothers
Slicers and dicers
and cows carved in butter
Tom Jones and Flippo
and Smokey the Bear
These are the things
that we loved at the Fair

The Himalaya
and vinegar French fries
Goldfish in baggies
we’d win after three tries
Spin art and sweet corn
and Sonny and Cher
These are the things
that we loved at the Fair

Every August
There were freak shows
There was food on sticks
So hot and so humid but we didn’t care
We loved going to
the Fair

1 comment:

  1. This makes me wish I'd made more of an effort to get to the fair this year.

    ReplyDelete