Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Rolling Billboard for Christ (or, can you say blasphemous?)


As I was driving to work this morning, I passed an interesting car. It was a beater, for sure. It was blue. Across the bottom edge of the trunk someone had hand-painted in large white letters: Who is this Jesus?

Below that on the bumper was: Jesus – Yes!

Then on the side I saw: Heaven or Hell?

I’m talking large white hand-painted letters – maybe seven or eight inches tall.

I started wondering what would possess someone to do that? (The holy spirit, you say?) I’ve decided it must have been a man. I think men are more about the grand gesture. Bigger is better and all that. It might have gone down like this:

Husband: I’ve been thinking about our Lord God Almighty.

Wife: Praise the Lord!

Husband: I want to help spread the Word!

Wife: Praise the Lord!

Husband: I think I’ll paint the Word on our car!

Wife: Say what?

Husband: Our car will become a missionary on wheels. A billboard for Christ!

Wife: You can’t be serious.

Husband: “Who is this Jesus?” That has a nice ring to it. It’ll give people something to think about while they’re driving.

Wife: You know what they'll think? They'll think you're nuts.

Husband: “Jesus – Yes!” I’ll keep the messages short, so they can be BIG. I’ll show people the Way.

Wife: Can't you do that with a bumper sticker? Or maybe by hanging a medal or two from the rearview mirror?

Husband: I've got it! “Heaven or Hell?” on the back passenger door!

Wife: Slow down, Bible Boy. You really need to rethink this.

Obviously, Bible Boy was not to be deterred. The rolling billboard for Christ is a reality. And it did get me thinking about Jesus.

Sweet tap-dancing Jesus to be precise.







No comments:

Post a Comment