Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Cowboy Names

I wasted a lot of time Saturday watching old John Wayne movies on AMC. I couldn't tell you the exact movies without doing research which I'm not inclined to do. They're pretty much the same anyway. John Wayne's a cowboy or John Wayne's a soldier. In these, he was a cowboy. The first movie had a very young James Caan in a supporting role as the greenhorn upstart cowboy and his name was Mississippi. The next movie had a young Ricky Nelson (sadly there was never an old Ricky Nelson) in the same supporting role, and his name was Colorado. I expected to meet Dakota or Nevada in the next movie but I didn't. It was Johnny (played by Ron Howard). I started wishing I could meet a cowboy named Vermont or New Hampshire. Men from those states had to go west, right? And what about Georgia or Virginia? That would have given those John Wayne movies an entirely different tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment