Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Voila!

At work, as the copywriter, I am usually the go-to person for spelling and grammar questions.

So today, a man calls across the cubicles to me, "Hey Jean - how do you spell 'voila'?" He pronounces it wah-lah, without any hint of the V.

I answer V - O - I - L - A.

"Really?" he asks.

"Yes," I say.

"With a V?" he asks.

"Yes," I say.

Not 60 seconds go by and I hear him talking quietly - to whom I'm not
sure - and he says "Oh, I'm trying to figure out how to spell voila."

Clearly my credibility isn't what it should be.

2 comments:

  1. Jean, quit trying to pull one over on the guy - everyone knows it's spelled "wallah". (Or, if you're into that fancy French junk, "vwallah"...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe he should stick with something easier like "Ta-daa!!"

    ReplyDelete